Yoga Asanas Dedicated for Mental Health
Yoga Asanas Dedicated to Mental Health When we talk about the overall fitness, so it is not just physical fitness, but mental fitness is also included in it. We all know that yoga asanas are not just for the sake of helping people to cope with their health issues, but they are also to help people cope with problems related to their mind. There are altogether different sets of yoga asanas which are dedicated to different benefits. Some of them are for the overall fitness, whereas some are specifically for mental health and some for physical health.
If you want to do yoga for keeping yourself both physically and mentally fit, then you must go for the 200 hours yoga teacher training in Goa. You may not want to become a yoga teacher or yoga instructor but learning yoga from there will help you in the long run.
These days people are learning different forms of yoga asanas by hiring a yoga instructor. So, instead of hiring a yoga instructor, we advise you to go for the yoga teacher training in India. So, that you can learn all the types of yoga easily from one place and that also with the help of some best yoga instructors. If you are going through any mental illness, like anxiety, depression, stress, or any other such problem, yoga is the best solution. Here, we have shared some yoga poses that are dedicated to mental health. These yoga poses will help you get rid of these mental illnesses.
Uttanasana is a kind of standing yoga pose, which is also named as forwarding bend pose. This pose helps in increasing the blood circulation in the body. With the increased blood flow, the circulation of oxygen also increases. This helps in reducing stress and anxiety. It will help in bringing peace to your mind. Let’s see how to do this yoga asana:
- First of all, stand straight on the yoga mat. Keep both your legs and feet together only.
- Now, put both your hands on your hips while inhaling slowly.
- Now, move your hands by extending them above you. While exhaling, start bending your torso in the forward direction.
- Bend more and bring your arms also along. Put your arms next your feet towards the outside on the ground in the same bending position. While you are in this position, ensure that your knees are straight only. As they should remain straight throughout this asana.
- If you find it difficult to put your hands on the ground, you can also, hold your ankles for support.
- Remain in this same pose for around 15 seconds or 20 seconds and then get back to the same position. Practice this around 4 to 5 times every day.
Shavasana can be performed with ease if you keep yourself mentally active. And that is how it helps in improving your mental health. You can also call this pose as Corpse Pose. Be it about the mental illness or the physical illness, this is one such pose, that helps in both. For increasing your mind’s concentration and your meditation power, you must learn this yoga asana. Initially, you may not be able to focus properly, but as you will practice more, you will be able to do it more easily. Now, let’s see the complete step-wise process for Shavasana:
- Put the yoga mat and then lie straight on the yoga mat with your back on the yoga mat. Make sure your body is straight.
- Now, bring both your hands close to your sides and put your feet away. Your body should be in a relaxing position, so do not hold your body too tightly. Ensure that your palms are towards the upwards direction.
- Once you are in the form, now you will need to close your eyes. Your eyes will be closed but your mind should be active.
- Now, focus on your complete body. In your mind, start focussing on your body from your head, forehead till your toe. Do not let other thoughts distract you from focussing, as this will help your body in getting relaxed completely.
- Hold on to this position for at least 5 minutes in the starting. Later on, you can increase the time by 7 minutes or 10 minutes, as per your convenience.
You can guess by its name only that is Balasana which means it is Child Pose. Balasana also helps in keeping your mind refresh and reenergize. It does not just benefit your mental health, but it also benefits your digestive system. The more you will practice this yoga asana the more benefit you will get. But perform these yoga asanas with the help of a yoga instructor only. Especially the one who has already taken a 200hrs yoga teacher training in India. As they know well how to perform this asana.
Because in case of any heart problem or if you are suffering from diarrhea, doing such yoga asanas is not at all suggested. Let’s start with learning how to perform this yoga asana using these steps:
- First of all, sit on your knees, which means your knees will be folded, just like you sit when you bend head during prayers.
- Once you are seated in this position, make sure that your spine is straight.
- Now bend in the forward direction, making your chest touch your thighs. Bend a bit more so, making your head touching the ground.
- Now make both your arms straight on both sides. So, this way your palms will be on the ground in the backward direction, opposite to your face. Ensure, that your both hand’s palms are upward facing.
- Remain in the same position for around 20 seconds, and then exhale and release. Do it for around 4 times. If you are facing problem in resting your head on the ground, you can make use of a pillow.
All these yoga asanas which we have mentioned above are for the informational purpose. It means they do benefit us, but without proper knowledge do not practice them. Or take help from your doctor or yoga instructor to know if you should do it or not.